ZIM carried 2.4 million TEUs in 2016, a 5.2% increase compared to 2015 ZIM continued to record improved results and outperform the industry, through increased efficiency and cost reductions achieved against a background of volatile and rapidly changing market conditions.
ZIM reported an adjusted EBITDA of $43.9 million in Q4 2016, and $46.7 million for the year ended December 31, 2016. ZIM recorded adjusted EBITDA margins of 6.7% in Q4 2016, and 1.8% for the whole of 2016.
ZIM recorded a 3.9% increase in containers carried in Q4 compared to the same period last year, to 613 thousand TEUs and a 5.2% increase to a total of 2.4 million TEUs in 2016, compared to 2015.
As a result of increased efficiencies and cost reductions, along with other factors, the unit cost decreased in 2016 by 14% compared to 2015.
Rafi Danieli, ZIM’s President & CEO, said: “In spite of the very challenging market conditions in 2016, our results continued to improve, with a net profit in Q4 2016 and an increase in carried TEUs. The results were achieved through a successful efficiency plan and costs reductions implemented at all levels in ZIM. We continue to improve ZIM’s network and to react rapidly to changing market conditions. Starting April 2017, in response to the changes in the alliances’ setup, ZIM will introduce an upgraded, efficient new network, with new services in the Asia-America, Asia-Med and Med-America trades, offering high quality services to our customers. We operate as an independent, global niche carrier, with emphasis on high level customer service and focus on select markets where ZIM has a competitive advantage.”
Financial and Operating Highlights
The average freight rate per TEU carried was $902 in 2016 reflecting a decrease of 19.9% compared with 2015. As a result of the significantly lower freight rates, total revenues in in 2106 decreased by 15.1% to $2,539.3 million, compared to $2,991.1 million in 2105.
The average freight rate per TEU carried in Q4 2106 was $915 an increase of 3.2% compared to the average freight in Q3 2016. As a result total revenues in Q4 2106 increased by 1.5% to $653.5 million, compared to $643.9 million in Q3 2106.
Financial Highlights for the Three Months Ended December 31, 2016
• EBITDA was $52.8 million, compared to $17.7 million in Q3 2016
• Net profit was $4.6 million, compared to net loss of $37.6 million in Q3 2016
• Adjusted EBIT was $17.1 million, compared to negative $14.4 million in Q3 2016
• Adjusted EBITDA was $43.9 million, compared to $10.5 million in Q3 2016
• Operating cash flow was $17.5 million, compared to $12.7 million in Q3 2016
Financial Highlights for the Year Ended December 31, 2016
• EBITDA was $49.9 million, compared to $204.4 million for the same period of 2015
• Net loss was $163.5 million, compared to net profit of $6.5 million for the same period of 2015
• Adjusted EBIT was negative $54.3 million, compared to $117.7 million for the same period of 2015
• Adjusted EBITDA was $46.7 million, compared to $216.7 million for the same period of 2015
• Operating cash flow was $33.2 million, compared to $173.1 million for the same period of 2015
• Unit cost decreased by 14% compared to the same period of 2015